What is the general information about travel to North Cyprus?
If you intend to visit North Cyprus for travel, business, among other purposes, this piece offers you valuable guides. Provided that they meet the travel and immigration requirements and are not deemed ineligible to enter the country, foreign visitors to North Cyprus may be issued a visa for up to 90 days, according to the purpose of visit and visa type.
The length of stay allowed at the North Cyprus ports and border crossings cannot exceed 90 days in a 180-day period. A resident permit is required for all foreigners staying in the country for more than 90 days. With a valid passport or travel document, you can enter and exit North Cyprus through designated ports and border crossings.
The visa type and period issued to foreigners are stamped on their travel documents by the immigration officers. Foreigners are not permitted to stay in the country beyond the date stamped on their travel documents, and they are not permitted to use the visa for purposes other than those for which it was issued. Working on a tourist or student visa, for example, is considered a visa violation.
What specific documents are required for travel to North Cyprus?
The required travel documents for foreign visitors to North Cyprus vary according to their nationalities and regions.
For citizens of the Republic of Turkey coming to North Cyprus:
- A valid Passport or Identity Card.
For citizens of the European Union and Schengen Area Countries coming to North Cyprus:
- A valid Passport or National Identity Card.
For citizens of other countries traveling to North Cyprus:
- A valid Passport.
What is the required validity of travel documents for foreign visitors?
- Citizens of countries without an embassy, consulate general, or representative office in North Cyprus and citizens of countries that are not members of the EU must have a passport or travel document valid for at least six months to enter North Cyprus.
- Citizens of countries with embassies, consulates general, or representative offices in North Cyprus and citizens of EU countries must have a passport or travel document valid for at least two months to enter North Cyprus.
What are the procedures for entry of foreigners?
At the point of entry, foreigners may be required to provide the following documents and information to the Immigration Officer:
- Evidence of sufficient financial means to sustain the intended period of stay in North Cyprus and return to home country.
- Proof of accommodation in North Cyprus (hotel payment receipt, or name and address of the invitee).
- Foreign visitors must accurately declare their purpose of visit convincingly.
- An official letter from the inviting institution if traveling for an internship, course, or student exchange program.
- An official acceptance letter from the university if traveling for higher education.
- If visiting family, a letter of invitation providing the name, address, phone number, and other contact information of the person you are visiting.
- If traveling on a business trip, an official letter of invitation from a company in North Cyprus.
- A reservation or rental document for stays of 30 to 90 days if traveling for tourism.
Similarly, foreigners crossing into North Cyprus from Southern Cyprus are required to present the documents/information listed above.
What visa types and periods are issued for foreign visitors?
HOW CAN I OBTAIN A TOURIST VISA?
Those who come to the country for touristic visits and plan to remain in a hotel or other lodging facility and those who have rented accommodation for this purpose can be granted a 30-day visa. A visa of up to 90 days may be granted if they can establish that they have paid for their accommodations in advance.
Those who arrive in the country for a family visit and stay at the invited family members’ homes may be granted a visa for up to 60 days. Those traveling for official trips, business meetings, conferences, seminars, festivals, fairs, exhibitions, sporting events, cultural and artistic events, health tourism, and other similar purposes may be granted a visa for up to 90 days.
CAN I OBTAIN AN INTERNSHIP, COURSE, EXCHANGE PROGRAM, AND IN-SERVICE TRAINING VISA?
Foreigners who want to come to North Cyprus for internships, courses, student exchange programs, or in-service training can get a visa for up to 90 days if they can present official acceptance letters.
AS A FOREIGNER, CAN I OBTAIN A WORK PERMIT VISA IN NORTH CYPRUS?
It is provided to foreigners who have entered the country with a preliminary permit in compliance with the Law on Foreign Work Permits for a term of 30 days. To apply for a work permit visa, citizens of countries without an Embassy, Consulate General, Consulate, or other Representative Office in North Cyprus must have a passport valid for at least two years. You can read our previous blog post to know more about the procedure to apply for a visa and residency permit!
IS IT POSSIBLE TO OBTAIN A BUSINESS ESTABLISHMENT VISA IN NORTH CYPRUS?
Foreigners who come to the country with the intention of starting a business can be granted a 30-day visa if they have the necessary funds to do so.
What types of residence permit visa can I obtain as a foreigner?
There are different categories of residence permits that foreigners entering the country can apply for according to their visa types.
- Family Residence Permit Visa: Foreigners applying for a family residence permit may be granted a 90-day visa.
- Visa due to Ownership of Immovable Property: For people who have a title deed document demonstrating that they own immovable property in the country, a visa can be issued for up to 90 days.
- Visa for Student Residence Permit Application: Upon submission of a formal student registration or pre-registration letter, foreigners who come to the country to obtain a student residence permit may be issued a 60-day visa.
- Visa for Judicial and Administrative Purposes: Those who enter the country at the request or decision of judicial or administrative authorities may be issued a visa for the duration of their assignment.
- Scientific Research Visa: Those who come to North Cyprus to conduct scientific research may be granted a visa for the duration of their research.
- Visa for North Cyprus University Graduates: Graduates of 2-year higher education programs or those who have studied for at least 3 years in any of North Cyprus’s 4-year higher education programs may be issued a 30-day visa.
You can also read Covid-19 travel advice when traveling to Northern Cyprus by clicking here.